The Federation was established as a non-profit organisation under the laws of the Principality of Monaco to pursue the following objectives:
- For the promotion and preservation of circus arts and culture;
- To officially represent its members, national federations and affiliated associations and their members with any national and international authorities;
- To address all questions relating to the circus;
- To facilitate the development of the circus through study and centralization of issues such as general, administrative, technical, artistic, social, material and others of interest to the circus community and the disciplines that might be assimilated; and
- To encourage the adoption of charters, regulations or other measures to contribute to the development of the circus and its image.